Well, that could have gone horribly wrong (and in some ways, it did).
I said earlier that everything was a blur when I covered
our retreat from the tunnels when we first found them, and I didn't
think about it much afterwards. It was instinct, I suppose - my friend
was hurt, we were chased by people who wanted to kill us, so I left one
of them dead. I got to see someone else's way of doing things this
time, when Bomani rattled out instructions and orders right when
everything was close to collapse. I can't think that fast at the best
of times, and part of me doesn't want to know how many fights he's been
through to let him react as if he'd planned it all along.
I couldn't do much this time, since people quickly charged
the dogfolk to avoid being stoned to death along with Yannick. I'm fine
with that; I'm best with my bow when I can ignore everything and just
get on with making someone bleed. When the target's half blocked by one
of your friends, and you're as like to shoot them as you are the one
you actually want to kill, it stops being easy. This time I
concentrated on making myself useful behind the lines, and helped Narmak
recover from a wound which looked terrifying at first. Happily barely
any of the blood was hers, and she was back on her feet without me
needing to staunch anything or amputate - I'd have no clue about doing
either.
Judging by the mess, my friends must have been fairly
terrifying themselves. It looks like they went through dozens of the
dogfolk before it turned into a rout, and even though we took some
wounds on the way out after the dogfolk got clever and started to shoot
out of the shadows, this all felt like we'd won ourselves a fairly big
victory.
Of course, those high spirits disappeared when we saw the
smoke coming from the village after we'd decided to rest there for the
night. We've gone from a conquering band of warriors to a group of
walking wounded looking for shelter, which leaves us in a pretty
desperate state if any of the village's attackers are still around. I'm
unwounded, which is great, but it looks like the dogfolk tore chunks
out of Yannick, Bomani and some of our newer friends. Time to make
myself useful again, since it looks like most of our group won't be
forming a battle line again today.
No comments:
Post a Comment