Thursday, 26 July 2012

Session 3 - If you go down to the woods today - the Judges angle

This week my players made it into the dungeon. There was some debate as to whether to enter or not, but in the end I think the lure of possible glorious combat overcame trepidation.

They didn't get very far, after some consternation over some corpses and bafflement at a blockade, Yannick the Ox, feeling confident and cocky, shouldered open a door. Only to find it was trapped with a deadfall. The 7hp Barbarian was reduced to -4hp as his head was battered and mangled by big heavy rocks... Oops.

It also alerted some of the denizens.

Quick thinking on the part of Quill the Bladedancer and fortunate dice rolls meant that the party all got away alive and mostly in one piece, aside from one human 'bandit' who was shot in the face by Paige and her bow (forcing a morale roll which, as the party was fleeing, meant they opted to not pursue).

Yannick now sports some attractive facial scars and the party earned a grand total of 10xp. Go them!

Hopefully individual write ups to follow!

From a reffing perspective it was my most comfortable session yet. I'm still struggling to feel at all confident about running the game, and I'm not as clued up on the rules as I should be, but the guys are generous and forgiving so it's all good. Having put a lot of effort into keying the dungeon (mostly) according to -Cs technique described here, it felt good to actually use it. I think it'll take a little time for things to become smooth, but I think we're all having fun so far.

Useful lessons for me to learn are to get better at the descriptions of incidental things, like walls, trees, etc.. Things felt a little flat and 2-D last night as I was spending a lot of mental energy thinking about what was going on. I'm sure that'll get better with time and practice, but I need to remember to do it.

2 comments:

  1. Ow, my head.

    I'm shocked any of us survived! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it hadn't been for your awesome Thembrian hunter getting all of the bad dice rolls out early on in the evening...

    ReplyDelete