3 months? Really? It's that long since I last made a post? Oh dear.. poor blog..
Anyway. Last week saw the start of my ACKS campaign. A shaky start, from my perspective, but hopefully that will improve over time, and with practice.
The last time I ran anything was a 2-3 session Exalted game about 3 years ago, and the time before that was... so long ago I can't even remember what it was. So I'm seriously rusty, and not at all confident in my GMing abilities right now. I'm putting an inordinate amount of faith in my groups patience and our friendships, because what I don't want to do is bore them.
The premise of the campaign is that the Petty Emperor, Severin VII has declared a reconquista of the 'lost' island of Thyle, once the seat of his forebears empire, which has all gone to shit since the outbreak of a virulent and horrible plague wiped out civilisation on the island. In addition to penal legions and zealous holy warriors, adventurers from all over are flocking to his banner seeking fame and fortune.
Enter the unlikely 'heroes':
Yannik the Ox - A Thembrian Barbarian, a hardy hillsman whose people are reknowned for their skill at training animals, particularly war dogs.
Paige - A Thembrian 'Tracker' (or was it 'Hunter', I forget) - a more civilised woman from Thembria.
Bomani - A Stygian Fighter - Once a leader of men, now reduced to sword for hire after his men were wiped out.
Quill - A Kemetic Bladedancer - A curiously blunt holy warrior of Sol from lands not known for their worship of the sun goddess.
They made their separate ways to the (as yet unnamed) township that is the beachhead of the Imperial Expedition and were variously coralled into the town square the morning after / of their arrival. There, they and a few dozen other adventuring types entered 'the drawing' where groups of new adventurers were flung together and given a task by Rufus, the Quartermaster, who looks like this:
(The late Pete Postlethwaite, from Dragonheart)
They were issued with an adventurers charter (levying a tax on their booty, but exempting them from certain other taxes levied on other folks), and were asked to go investigate a suspected missing supply run to a village they were trying to get up and running to the North. It was suggested that they might want to try to hire 'help' from the various ne'erdowells that hang around the tavern after a Drawing, but are too chickenshit to enter themselves.
Tomorrow, the party will attempt to find some hirelings worth hiring! (and hopefully get underway)

No comments:
Post a Comment