This report is from the perspective of Bomani, the Stygian warrior. A former officer whose men were all killed in some unspecified action.
Date 1
The Sprinter's Heel finally arrived on Thyle. Three of the untrained rabble jumped ship as we got within sign of Thyle, screaming and shouting about the death that waits for us on the island. Leaving the boat here will certainly prevent them from dying on Thule.
The main "port" is a ramshackle sorry-excuse for a professional operation. How they plan to retake the island without basic fortifications, organised militia or basic supplies I don't know. I have not heard the sound of a single forge since I arrived.
Local organisation seems to consist soley of Rufus who has assigned me to the work group of "The Sheaf". Rufus assigned us a scouting job, which while seemingly menial, the pay is better than offering my services and it gives me a good reason to explore with some expendable men. We are to find a lost wagon and the accompanying troops, either on route or at a staging settlement up north. Rufus was not expecting anything untoward, although they are almost one week late.
My sheafmen are a rich Priest of Sol, a warrior and a hunter. I expect the priest to killed or robbed within a week and doubt the skills of any hunters that eat dry rations for dinner.
If any of the rumours are of Thyle are to be believed, my three undisciplined companions don't stand much chance against the terrain here, let alone beastmen skirmishers. I'm not sure they even have waterskins. Sol save us. Quill has seen the wisdom of recruiting some local talent and has provided the means to do so.
The local tavern is so new (or so old) that it doesn't even have a name. Some of the men inside didn't seem like they would be able to recall their names. Even so, we managed to hire some men that should prove useful in a fight, even if the use is not knowing the best time to withdraw. Once I heard of a mercenary band that hired men on the same 100 gold pieces.
Land north of the port seems fairly fertile, with miles and miles of green grassland. No sign of men, beasts or otherwise. Tomorrow we will reach the outskirts of a sizeable forest. The wagon and settlement should be within the forest, at most one more day of travel.
Day 2
Travel has been fairly quiet. I expect everyone is thinking hard about why they came to Thyle.
I know I am.
It will take months to train decent fighting men here and I suspect I am working with the most skilled already. Sol give me strength.
There are no signs of civilisation aside from the old road we have walked along.
We have finally found signs of encampment and some tracks. It looks like there was an ambush here, although there are no signs of fighting, just tracks going off in all directions. Some of the footprints may be beastmen and We are now following what might be a wagon.
By tonight I expect we will see who can fight and can run.
and 100xp to Bomani
No comments:
Post a Comment