Wednesday, 13 July 2011

Lycanthropy

Based on this post over at Huge Ruined Pile I got to thinking about Lycanthrope a bit and musing on how the concept sat within a wider metaphysical framework.

Scotts house rules (I assume they're house rules..) give information for what Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Halflings will become if infected by Lycanthropy and that Were-Bears are a special case. However there are also Were- bats, foxes, sharks, seals and Devil Swine to consider - at least if you want to use them. Those extra werebeasts however aren't really where I was going.

Under this proposed ruleset, the demi-human races are no longer 'just' killed by Lycanthropy, which I think is much better than 'Oh gee, you're dead...', but what about *other* races? What if a goblinoid gets bitten, or a gnoll, kobold, ogre, or any of the other humanoid races.

I haven't really thought it through,, but I kinda like the idea that what a particular race turns into when afflicted is somehow indicative of some underlying mystery of the world.

There's also the question of where the disease came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment