Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Session 13 - The Kobold and the Brave.

Yannicks Tale

When the days come to tell children of the life of adventure I led, never from my lips will they hear that I nearly lept in Kobold-shit to be devoured by demon-worms.

And so we rested again, frail bodies nursed back to health by Quills healing hands and caustic tone.  We did what we could to pass the time: hunting, praying, citing the land for what defences could be errected in preservation of this poor village that has become our haunt.
Me, I would be in favour of a watchtower to spy the approaches... but such things must wait until we have a roof above our heads.

Still the villagers work as they do and the hunting fills the pots.  Paige joins me as she recovers, her bow striking beyond my spear... and the food was hearty, when not cooked by Quill.
Bomani and Cromwell joins us again, good to see him up and about though I hope that if he's made use of his other recovery he's put it better use than Cromwell.  Still, with Verdugo's last slouching recovery we are read in company to strike again at the foul depths.

And so we do, passing through the barricades to explore the lands of the Kobold, as I am now told they are spelled.  The rooms proved interesting to our sight, but no more full of treasure than when we exited them in haste.  The defended parts we found abandoned, with nothing but traces remaining of the vile beasts.  We searched what seemed like a wing of the building with nothing found to be of note, save for two things of note and the cliffhanger I shall leave you on...

First of note is the "treasure" room, filled with valuable goods such as they were... locked and denied to the scuttling vermin since Paige siezed the keys from their leader upon our first battle.  Some rugs, tapestries and cloth... salt and copper locked tight in a chest.  Books mouldered on a shelf of ages, cloaks rotted on a stand... but the bed was good quality, though the straw matress would need burning many times over.  We took what was easy to carry and left the rest under lock and key.
The other matter was more promising: a wide room of treasure and dripping coin: gems galore and bejewelled chests sitting majesticly in their midst.  Three bodies lie before them, chests rising and falling in deep slumber but we gave them little thought as our eyes widened... Samis was the first forward and I pressed to follow, but Bomani's hand strikes out faster than I and holds me back as the image shifts and blurrs beneath Samis's hands and reveals the biggest pile of shit, vomit and bile that the Saints have ever shown me.  Strewn across the room under the illusion that no longer masks the horrific scent.

We all look rather embarassed at this point and Bomani looks smug for a time.  With no treasure in sight and little incentive to shuffle through a Kobold latrine in search of coppers, so we turned what was left of our waning (and gagging) attention to the three unconscious guards, wearing the uniform akin to those of the conscripts... Ildis confirmed that he had served with one and I went to rouse them to speak of how they had been kept.
some warning twitched in my mind as the body rolled, I think the breath heaved wrong perhaps but truely I know only at a vile worm lept from it... perhaps a foot or more in length with teeth far above its need, spurring forward from its last meal onto the blade of my hastily-drawn dagger.  More and more of the things lept in unseemly manner from the three very dead men and soon we were all gathered around cutting and chopping at the evil mites.
That truely settled our desire to leave that room and never speak of it again.

With the obvious courses taken, we sought to follow the beasts through the route they had fled.  One of the side passages looked promising and had the tracks of beasts in it... we pursued them to an end that saw us baffled, for a great door lay against what we knew to be a wall upon the far side.  The tracks we followed seemed strange: to approach the door yet scrabble around and vanish.  We suspect foul play, yet to discover their destination we must step forward... and that is when I see it.
Amid the flagstones there are many rises and falls, yet one line lies true past many stones in centre of the passaageway... right beneath my feet...

No comments:

Post a Comment