Thursday, 19 April 2012

Map of the world, part deux

It's taken me a while to do anything more on my ACKS homebrew, but finally I've made a little progress. Blame a combination of Minecraft and the Bleach anime series taking up my brain space.

Here's an updated map of the world with names of the various countries / areas on it.

 
Yes, they're massively ripped off in some (most..) cases, but I don't care. I'm looking to make something I want to run, not make it the new Westeros.Anyhoo... for some of the locations I've got a vague idea of what it's like while for others I have very little clue at all. At the moment that's sitting fine with me as I can let my players define it (to a point :-)).

Some of the things I'm laying down in advance though, in terms of inspiration or what it's like in X are:

Stygia - It's like Mythic Arabia, mostly Egypt, with powerful 'Tomb Lords' controlling a huge territory via masses of Jackalman legions. If you're a human there you're probably a slave, a slaver, or a member of the nomadic barbarian tribes who have so far escaped the attentions of the Tomb Lords.

Thuria - The name for a large area of land believed to once have been a great empire in itself. A few hundred years ago it was united and ruled from Thyle, but now the land is divided into a number of other kingdoms.

Thyle - Where the campaign will be based. Old seat of Emperors, that fell to a virulent plague a couple of centuries ago. Scions of the old Empire have expressed an interest in 'reclaiming' Thyle, sparking a bit of a land grab.

Norvalts - Here be Vikings and their ilk.

Drachen - Here also be Vikings and their ilk.

The Great Ice - Land of perpetual ice and snow. A bit GRRM, a bit Howardian. Lots of Giants and frost monsters. You're pretty much fucked if you end up here without preparation.#

Skeptos - This large island and it's neighbours are home to a trading / piratical nation of Minotaurs. They're pretty terrifying sailors. (I realised the other day that this is from Dragonlance. Deal with it :p)

Bereznik - Some sort of Russian / Eastern Europe influence. Automaton army created and maintained by Dwarves. In a constant state of war against Stygia, holding back the tide of eeeevil.

Barato - Italian vibe

Santales - Spanish Catholic Church influence, worshipping 'The Saints'. Religion agogo.

Sodor - Distant land of lizardmen and jungles.

Others as I think of them.

3 comments:

  1. Wait... Isn't Sodor the land of magical talking trains?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Yes it is. Who knows, maybe the Lizardman god is a great rotund being who exerts his influence on their daily lives through monstrous mechanical minions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote for this place as the origin point of the PCs.

    ReplyDelete